The summer of 2004 saw the lowest youth employment rate in NYC in over two decades. While youth struggle to get a decent education and jobs for teens are at an all-time low, funding for jails and detention centers continue to increase. G.A.P. youth spent the summer exploring this connection and produced a creative reflection on this enduring problem.
You are here
Community Media In Action
Time and again, we hear from community organizers that they want to incorporate media into their work but don’t know how or where to start. Community Media in Action is our response to this vital need for media analysis and production in community organizing efforts and our attempt to support youth leadership, arts and media at the forefront of organizing for social change.
Global Action Project's Community Media in Action (C.M.I.A.) is a program dedicating to supporting community organizations to bring the power of youth media to their social justice campaigns. Partners for C.M.I.A include DRUM, Streetwise and Safe, NYSYLC, Flanbwayan, CAAAV, Youth Ministries for Peace and Justice, and Urban Youth Collaborative.
What does Community Media in Action entail?
- Hands-on production activities that include storytelling and interviewing techniques, aesthetic composition, creative camera work and editing.
- Analytical activities that place past and current popular media efforts within a framework of global media history, power, ownership, and movements.
- Discussion and strategy sessions to link media to social justice work
- Ongoing curriculum resources and technical assistance
Through participating in Community Media in Action, organizations and youth build their capacity:
- to understand and use media production for community building, political analysis and visioning, and political change.
- to make sophisticated communication tools with compelling stories and convincing messages.
- to integrate culture, art and creativity as a place for young people to contribute to organizing efforts
Watch video youth organizers have created through our C.M.I.A. program below! If you'd like to arrange a screening, or are an organization interested in partnering with C.M.I.A., please contact Karina at karina [at] global-action.org.