Made in collaboration with DRUM and Ugnayan, this short film takes on the epidemic of the NYPD's unlawful and deceptive searches of young people of color. The filmmakers produced this film to create awareness of and support for the Right to Know Act, which aims to create transparency and accountability in everyday interactions between the NYPD and the public.
Community Media in Action Applications for Youth Organizers and Organizations Due Feb. 6, 2016!
Community Media in Action (CMIA) is a G.A.P. initiative that supports social justice groups working to broaden their reach, deepen their impact and increase youth engagement through the production process. CMIA’s 2016 overall goals are:
1) to increase capacity of youth and community organizations to use media for social justice campaigns
2) to cultivate youth organizers as leaders who can produce high-impact media.
During CMIA youth organizers from New York City social justice organizations participate in six day-long workshops to build their media analysis and media production skills. Participants apply the media skills learned and produce a video/media piece on an issue of their choice by the end of the training. The CMIA curriculum focuses on developing youth in the following areas:
- Technical media production
- Digital editing
- Audience identification
- Outreach strategizing
- Media literacy
- Power analysis
- Cross-issue awareness and movement building (building relationships with youth from other social justice organizations and learning about their work and opportunities for future collaboration)
- Integrating social media into outreach, base-building and campaign visibility.
This year CMIA will take place from 10am to 6pm on the following dates:
Saturday, March 12th, 2016
Saturday, March 26th, 2016
Saturday, April 2nd, 2016
Saturday, April 9th, 2016
Saturday April 16th, 2016
Saturday, April 23rd, 2016
Application Deadline: Saturday, February 6th, 2016.
***We are offering these trainings at a very low cost to ensure participation from grassroots groups. If you require a scholarship, please let us know. This price includes lunch, our G.A.P. curriculum, and ongoing support. For more information or questions email the Community Media in Action Coordinator [email protected].